The Fire February 6, 2009
A friend of mine on a message board just asked about this story, so I figured as long as it’s all typed up, I’ll post it here as well. It’s probably one of my most embarrassing moments of all time. Here you go
So, this was a couple of years ago, Ryan was almost 3, Aidan was 20 or so months. Early spring (I think it was March). Ryan was running around in her swimsuit that my mom just bought her. Even though it’s too cold to be wearing it, she loves it so I’m letting her wear it inside. Rob had just left for the night, I put a pizza in the oven and decided to make myself some tea. Turn on the burner (electric), walk to my room to do something.
When I come back out of my room I’m walking down the hallway and I think, hhhhmmmm, the lighting in the kitchen looks funny, better check it out. So, go to the kitchen and realize that instead of the burner that the kettle was sitting on, I’ve chosen the burner that I have a plastic cutting board sitting on. The thing is on fire.
So I turn off the burner. But, not sure what to do for a plastic stove top fire (you know, is it dish soap, baking soda, water???) I call 911, hoping the operator will tell me. So, I ask, and she says she can’t tell me. But, by the time she’s told me this the stupid thing has burned itself out anyway. So, I say “Never mind, it’s all out anyway.” And, she says “Well, I’m going to send A fire truck to check it out anyway. You need to get yourself and the kids out of the house.” So, I take the cutting board out on the porch because it stinks, and I take the kids out to the front of the building.
Remember Ryan is in her swimsuit, and she’s prancing around like a pony in the circus. And, remember that the nice 911 operator told me she’d send A truck. So, I’m standing outside my apartment and all of a sudden, I kid you not, not one truck, 3 trucks, 1 ambulance and 2 police cars, come roaring in lights and sirens ablaze. 2 of the trucks blocked off both of our parking lot entrances, the other one pulls up right to my building. Now all of my neighbors are out to see what the commotion is. And, the firemen jump out full garb on. Fire proof suits, oxygen tanks, the works people. (I couldn’t make this up if I tried)
So, I’m totally embarrassed, and the firemen come running up and into my apartment we go. The first one says “where’s the fire?”
“Well, it burned itself out, it happened here on the stove top, and the cutting board that was actually on fire I took to the porch.”
So the second fire fighter says, I’ll check the porch. The first guy follows me into the kitchen, and says “hhhhmmmm, smells like pizza”
The second guy comes back in and says “just a burned up cutting board out here.”
Much Ado about nothing. I was so embarrassed And, no one even told me what I should have done.
So, Rob, thinking it was hilarious to tease me about bought me an extinguisher that is supposed to be good for all fires. And, about a month later, he did EXACTLY the same thing. Tea/cutting borad and all. We used the extinguisher, and let me tell you, unless our house is seriously in danger of burning down, we will NEVER use that thing again. It was gross!
So, the moral of the story is… grease fires, use dish soap. Anything else use water. Unless it’s electrical I don’t know what you do for an electrical fire.